Average propane usage for your propane appliances
How much propane average homes use & cost of average propane usage
This table breaks down the rough average usage of a family home. With propane in 2015 averaging about $2.60 / gallon, the average household can expect to spend about $3,619 on their propane costs each year.
|Appliance||Average Yearly Usage
|Average Yearly Cost
(based on 2015 average price of $2.60)
|Hot Water Heater||250||$650|
|Propane Stove Ranges||35||$91|
|Propane Clothes Dryers||20||$52|
|Total Estimated Yearly Cost||$3,619|
How much propane do furnaces and fireplaces use
Furnaces, hot water heaters, and gas fireplaces use the most propane in your home. Here’s how much propane they use.
- Furnaces. Typical 100,000 btu home furnaces use approximately 1-gallon-per-hour or 500-1,200 gallons per year
- Hot water heaters – Depending on how many bathrooms and people you have in your home, hot water heating with propane uses about 1.5 gallons per day. Expect to use 200-300 gallons per year.
Budget Plans: Propane bills don’t have to break the bank
How you can keep your propane costs down
Estimating how much propane your family will use yearly can help you make smart decisions when it comes to purchasing propane. Keep your propane costs down by:
- Buying the right size propane tank for your home. If your tank is too small, you’ll have to fill up more often. Buying a larger tank can help you control costs through less frequent fill ups.
- Pre-buying propane when prices are low. Filling up your tank before the cold weather sets in will help you avoid seasonal price spikes.
- Buying energy efficient appliances. Upgrading your hot water heater or
Ask your propane company to help you estimate your usage
What size propane tank you need for your home depends on your usage, as described above. Your propane company can make a recommendation on what size tank you need based on your lifestyle.